11 March 2008

IDLE THOUGHTS

I’m happy to see that Bjork registered her feelings on Tibet during her performance in China – good for her. If only more governments and “celebrities” had the courage to take the same stance over this and other issues. Needless to say, Chinese media DID NOT report the incident. Bit like the BBC really. I have searched high and low on their site for news about Mehdi – the only result for Mehdi’s name when searching the BBC web site was a link to the Independent front page last week.
I guess it was Mehdi Kazemi’s case that really brought me back into the realms of activism. OK, I was biased, seeing as he is a young gay guy having serious problems, and I am an older gay guy who recently found true love. I’m not a sentimentalist though, and realise my ability to change things is limited; but to do nothing at all, (no matter how ineffective my efforts are), is, to me, a crime against humanity.
I’m busy working, leading a normal life – just the same as you; but none of us should ever be so busy that we can’t spare a few minutes to register our disapproval, our dissatisfaction, with governments and institutions far more powerful than ourselves, and who’s actions we disagree with. This is the age of instant communication. Those of us living in a country where free speech is a right have a moral responsibility to those less fortunate. OK, my efforts might be useless; but I at least try. What do you think would have happened if Schindler had turned the other way during WWII?
Ants are tiny creatures – almost powerless individually; but look at them working as a team! We could learn a lot from observing them. “What can I do? I’m only one person”, is no excuse at all.
Although I now teach English as a second language online, my training is as a scientist, and my scientific background has made me a life-long researcher. Having become a member of the Everyone Group, (an honour I do not really consider myself worthy of), I need to research many of the issues I intend writing about, and there are plenty, believe me. Apart from the current issues receiving attention, (such as Mehdi, and the Rrom and Sinti people), I have always felt the world powers-that-be turned, and turn, away from the problems of Tibet. I am well aware that the U.S. government have a rather distorted view of human rights and oppressive regimes. How come they cuddle up to the Chinese authorities, and condemn outright the Cuban administration? Seems to me the Chinese are far more oppressive than Cuba. It’s business and trade I know, and many would argue it is business that makes the world go round. There is a trend now towards companies being more aware of public opinion and stressing their commitment to fair trade etc., although this often stems from a desire to increase profits rather than any sense of altruism.
I have no idea where this blog will go – I’m as curious about that as, I hope, you are.
See ya

No comments: